The College of Staten Island (CSI) honored its January 2009 Associate of Applied Science nursing graduates Jan. 15 in the Center for the Arts Concert Hall.
GRADUATION DAY: Mary O'Donnell, PhD, RN, (center) chairwoman of the College of Staten Island's department of nursing, and New York Sen. Andrew Lanza (R-Staten Island), congratulate new graduates, (from left) Christian Narducci, Frank Guanti and Christine Taverna. courtesy College of Staten Island
A diverse group of 81 graduate nurses received their nursing pins and took the International Council of Nurses Pledge during the traditional Nightingale lamp ceremony.
The student speaker was Francis McCarthy; Christian Narducci, the student chairman, was master of ceremonies and New York Sen. Andrew Lanza (R-Staten Island) was the guest speaker.
The graduates dedicated the ceremony to autism awareness and made a donation in the name of the class of January 2009 to a preschool and child care center that cares for children with autism. The class members also wore flowers with an autism-awareness ribbon.
The college also awarded scholarships to students this month:
· Receiving the Dr. Else T. Marcus Memorial Scholarship were Lauren Berger, Vladimir Kotelnik, Iranthi Peiris, Nicole Saponaro and Yury Viknevich;
· Hassan Bilikisu received the Student Government Scholarship;
· Cynthia Karczewski received the Weisser Graduate Nurse Scholarship;
· Anastasiya Outkina received the Philippine Medical Association Scholarship;
· Aimee Payumo received the Ephraim Bodine Memorial Scholarship;
· Christen Trapani received the Sgt. Franklin Afferton III Scholarship;
· Jeremy Torres received the Jessica Palys Memorial Scholarship - Nursing, the Santo Petruzzello Memorial Scholarship, the Marie M. Afferton RN Scholarship, and the Alumni Association Nursing Scholarship.