Vol. 2 Issue 9
Visiting Nurse Association Celebrates Nightingale Honorees
The Visiting Nurse Association of South Central Connecticut (VNA/SCC) will present the Nightingale Awards for Excellence in Nursing to 132 nurses at its sold-out event May 1.
School nurses, hospital nurses, home care nurses and others will receive the award that organizers hope will inspire others to join the profession. Nearly 50 health care organizations are taking part in the program.
"It's a simple idea, but increasing public recognition of the amazing work that nurses do is good for us all," said Joanne Walsh, president and CEO of VNA/SCC. "We all want respect, and nurses in particular give so much of themselves to their work and the people they care for."
VNA/SCC and the other organizations participating in the Nightingale program hope to reverse the trend reported by the American Nurses Association (ANA) that 55 percent of nurses would not recommend their job to family members or friends.
The Nightingale Awards for Excellence in Nursing are awarded based on criteria established by a panel of nursing professionals. The award winners have all made a significant impact on patient care; gone "beyond the call;" demonstrated excellence; shown commitment to the community; or had an outstanding life-long achievement.
Honorees for the 2002 Nightingale Awards for Excellence in Nursing are listed in alphabetical order by employer:
• Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgerons PC: Mary McKeough, RN.
• CareSource Inc.: Colleen Lacko, LPN.
• The Connecticut Association for Home Care: Ann Anthony, MHC, BSN.
• Danbury VNA Inc.: Deborah Hyde, RN; and Janet Rogers, RN.
• Fair Haven Community Health Center: John Gura, LPN.
• Gaylord Hospital Inc.: Joan Carvalho, BS, RN, CRRN, CWS.
• Griffin Hospital: Leslie Campbell, RN,C; Redelma Damocles, RN,C; Ellen DiMagistris, BSN, RN, CCM; Doris Fialkovich, RN,C; Juanita Hilado, RN; Christine Matousek, RN; Jane Mezzatesta, RN,C; Theresa Ng, RN; Linda Sholomicky, RN,C; Elizabeth Yankowski, BS, RN; and Susan Zemper, BS, RN.
• Hewitt Memorial Hospital: Rosemarie Pryor, RN,C.
• Hospital of Saint Raphael: Linda Arkison, BSN, RN; Margaret Bradley, BS, RN; Patricia Brown, RN; Julia DiReinzo, BSN, RN, CCU, ACLS; Josephine Ettorre, RN, OCN; Lynne Falcigno, MS, BSN, RN; Diane Foshay, RN; Jennifer Gaetano, BSN, RN; Patricia Gerckens, RN, NCC; Frank Gerlach, RN; Burnetta Golding, RN; Natalie Hellerick, BSN, RN; Eileen Holt, RN, OCN; Margaret Hurley, RN, ADN; Almerinda Kamykowski, BS, RN; Barbara LaBonte, RN; Judy Lendroth, RN; Sister Ann Matthew Lorusso, MSN, BSN; Sharon Mendes, RN, A; Jacquelyn Mills, BSN, RN; Linda-Jo Pallotto, BS, RN; Kathleen Pompilli, LPN; Frances Proto, RN, CNN; Renee Rollier, BSN, RN; Nealie Rosenberg, BSN, RN; Kathleen Saunders, RN; Cecilia Scerbo, RN, CNOR; Joan Schaefer, RN; Patricia Schiavi, RN; Rose Simione, RN; Rita Uberti, BS, RN, CCRN; and Mary Wilson, RN.
• Ingraham Manor: Mira Shurko, BSN, RN.
• The Jewish Home for the Aged: Eleanor Perrelli, MSN, RN.
• The Mary Wade Home: Kathleen Aurora, LPN; and Kara Taylor, RN.
• Masonic Geriatric Healthcare Center: Melinda Schoen, RN, A-CCC.
• Masonic Health Care Center: Michele Ackerman, RN, A-CCC; Joyce Cuneen, BSN, RN; Caroline Hebert, RN; and Linda Napier, RN.
• Miss Porter's School: Diane Foley, BSN.
• Naugatuck Podiatry Associates: Angela Matusz, RN.
• New England Home Care: Olga Carlone, RN; Yvette Gonzalez, RN; and Annellie Larson, RN, ACCE.
• New Haven Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Janet Berkley, RN.
• New Haven Surgical Associates PC: Anne Koncevich, RN.
• Priority Care: Melissa Pantalone, RN; Karen Tolk, RN; and Sher Vieira, MSN, RN, APRN.
• Quinnipiac University, Dept. of Nursing Graduate Nursing Program: Joy Cohen, PhD, RN, CNM, CNAA, CCHT.
• Sacred Heart University: Anne Barker, EdD, RN.
• Southern Connecticut State University Dept. of Nursing: Immaculata Alba, MA, RN.
• United Visiting Nurse Association: Paula Buydos, RN; Margaret Marcinko, RN; and Susan Stiller, MSN, RN.
• VA Connecticut Healthcare System: Mary Anderson, RN, OR; Wendy Bellmore, NP, APRN, BC; Melinda Chasse, RN; Susan DeAngelo, RN; Deborah Danzy-Rudd, RN; Susan DeAngelo, RN; Anne Ferguson, RN, ADN; Rosa Fort, RN; Patricia Helm, APRN; Robin Krasner, RN; Katherine Loehr, BSN, RN,C; Donna Lynch, BSN, RN,C; Karen Mack, MSN, NP; Sadianne Ozment, RN, MPH; Esther Rizek, RN; Christina Sims, RN; Catherine Smith, RN; Kim Zarnowski, BSN, RN; and Henry Zywica, RN, ADN.
• Visiting Nurse Hospice Care of South Western Connecticut: Elizabeth Guarna, BSN, RN.
• Visiting Nurse Association of South Central Connecticut: Marianne Baril, BSN, RN; Elizabeth Hines, BS, RN; and Louise Lind, BS, RN.
• Visiting Nurses of the Lower Valley: Eileen Torrenti, RN.
• VNA Community Healthcare: Lee Crabtree, BSN, RN.
• VNA Health Care Inc.: Donna Czapiga, BS, RN, ET, CWOCN.
• VNA Services Inc.: Jill Mitchell, BSN, RN; and Dawn Sonn, BSN, RN.
• Yale New Haven Hospital: Linda Anderson, BSN, RN; Maureen Bruce, RN; Patricia Byrne, MSN, BSN, RN; Kristen Cellillie, RN; Denise Conte, RN; Claire Dickenson, RN; Mary Davis, RN, CNIII; Harriet Ebert, BSN, RN; Patricia Gatcomb, MSN, RN, FNP, CDE; Brenda Hird, BSN, CNII; Debra Indermauer, MSN, RN; Virginia Meyers, RN; Nancy Nickless, RN, CNIII; Gwen O'Connor, RN, CNOR; Mary O'Shea, RN, BC, BSN, CNIII; Kwame Osei-tutu, BSN, RN; Katie Osmanski, BSN, RN; Janice Kotora, BSN, RN, OCN; Mary Ross, RN, CNIII; and Brooke Spadaccino, RN, CNIII.