Two-year process results in five main conclusions
The International Federation of Social Workers (IFSW) concluded its two-year consultation on the 2020 to 2030 Global Agenda themes last month at the IFSW online World Conference. By the conclusion of the conference, more than 20,000 people had registered from 185 countries.
The consultation process was launched in 2018 to develop the next Global Agenda themes as a strategy to advance the profession’s focus and impact in the coming decade. The two-year consultation commenced with a dedicated online process enabling all people to submit proposals, followed by national and regional workshops and the World Conference finale. The conference brought all parts of the social work system together: political leaders, people who have experienced care, community leaders, educators, social service leaders, and social workers from throughout the world. IFSW also welcomed new partner organizations into the leadership of the conference to strengthen the process.
The resulting IFSW themes contributing to the 2020 to 2030 Global Agenda for Social Work are:
Valuing Social Work As An Essential Service
- Realizing the essential role of the social work profession to connect people, communities and systems, to co-build sustainable communities and to contribute to liveable futures.
- Resourcing the profession with legal recognition, respectful working conditions, education and continuing professional development and supporting professional associations.
Co-building Inclusive Social Transformation
- Co-building with people, families, communities, social movements and governments to achieve inclusive social transformation locally, nationally, regionally and globally.
- Promoting participatory democracy, gender equality, action to address racism, economic sustainability and climate justice.
Ubuntu: ´I am because we are´
- Nurturing relationships are central to the social work profession in all aspects of our work.
- Promoting indigenous knowledge and the decolonisation of the social work profession.
Transforming Social Protections Systems
- Transforming social protections systems to secure the human dignity and rights of all peoples.
- Strengthening connections for security and change. Promoting harmony in relationships and a way of living between peoples, communities and mother earth.
Promoting Diversity and the Power of Joint Social Action
- Celebrating the strengths of all people and their active role in leading social development.
- Working together to co-design and co-build thriving communities and societies for people and the environment.