Interactive Patient Systems Increase Retention

TeleHealth Services, a provider of interactive patient engagement solutions, is sharing research and perspectives based on almost two decades of experience in the interactive patient engagement marketplace with a new white paper, “Impacting Successful Outcomes: Optimizing Patient Interactive Education and Engagement.”

Despite widespread discussion about patient engagement, the industry lags behind the curve for automating patient education, the most critical aspect of patient engagement, according to a press release from TeleHealth. Approximately 20% of the nation’s hospitals use an interactive engagement system for patient education. The other 80% still use paper handouts that may or may not be read or easily understood due to factors including language barriers and literacy rates.

Meeting Patient Expectations

The TeleHealth Services white paper showcases the value of using interactive video as a more effective medium to teach patients and families, enhance comprehension and retention up to 50%, and improve patient satisfaction.

“Technology is enabling better quality patient education and patient experience in hospitals with measureable success,” said the white paper author Susie Sonnier, MS, RN. “Interactive video-based education has resulted in better information retention and engagement of patients with the care team. Outcomes and patient satisfaction are improved. Readmissions are reduced.”

Patient and Facility Benefits

The white paper outlines considerations and benefits for patients and facilities. For example, a patient can be prescribed condition-specific education, browse through hospital services and perhaps order their next meal. Entertaining movies and Internet access can be enjoyed, or relaxation content can be played to reduce hospital-induced anxiety or reduce pain levels.

Through workflow improvements, facilities can enable efficient condition-based curriculum prescribed by clinicians for patients and families. Education can be accessed during optimal teachable moments, freeing up nurses for other patient-centric tasks. Streamlining many manual processes can optimize time at the bedside for caregivers, the press release notes.

About The Author