This article appeared June 28 in the online edition of ADVANCE.
1. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Results from the 2011 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings, NSDUH Series H-44, DHHS Publication No. SMA 12-4713. Rockville, MD: SAMHSA, 2012.
2. The World Health Organization. The global burden of disease: 2004 update, Table A2: Burden of disease in DALYs by cause, sex and income group in WHO regions, estimates for 2004. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO, 2008. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GBD_report_2004update_AnnexA.pdf.
3. New Freedom Commission on Mental Health. Achieving the Promise: Transforming Mental Health Care in America Executive Summary. July 2003, Rockville, MD.
5. Shean, G.D. (2007). Recent developments in psychosocial treatments for schizophrenic patients. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, 7(7):817-28.
6. Muench, J. MD, MPH, and Hamer, A., PharmD, BCPP. (2010). Adverse Effects of Antipsychotic Medications. American Family Physician, 81(5)617-622.
7. Dixon, L., Dickerson, F., Bellack, A. et al. (2010). The 2009 Schizophrenia PORT psychosocial treatment recommendations and summary statements. Schizophrenia Bulletin. 36(1):48-70, 2010. Jan.
8. Rosenbaum, B., et al. (2012). Supportive Psychodynamic Psychotherapy versus Treatment as Usual for First-Episode Psychosis: Two-Year Outcome. Psychiatry: Interpersonal & Biological Processes, Guilford Publications Inc. 75(4)331-341. Winter 2012.